It is coming to 2 months since we left Singapore for HYD and to study in UOH. We have made many friends and all our classmates have warmed up to this 2 Singaporean Chinese. I think it is amazing how people can sit for hours in the same place, have so many cups of chai, while talking to people. I was not used to it at first, the Singaporean in me wants to get things done fast and not sit around. However, I realised that through the conversations with the people around me, i can get to see how they interact, their thought processes and learn to build relationships. SPDS was right to say that 'Slow is Fast'. I need to appreciate the 'slow' moments in my life. Sometimes we can get so task oriented and want to do so many things,we lose sight of what is truly important and we neglect the need to slow down and reflect.
We have a group project for Social Anthropology coming up and this group project will serve as a internal exam as well. Amy and I decided not to be in the same group as we wanted to interact with different people in the class. I am grouped two ladies, an Iranian lady and a Naga. We will be looking at marriage practices across all three cultures and seeing the differences and similarities. For our first 2 meetings, it seems to be really interesting and fun to look at the marriage practices of different cultures.
Most of my classmates are surprised at my age, they all assume I am in my early to mid 20s. Although it is a compliment that i look young, i do feel a bit aged in my class. To them, people my age are supposed to get married and have a stable job. I guess i am taking a different route and we all have different goals. I remarked to a dear friend that some people are running 5km, some are running 10km to reach a goal.I seem to be running 42km for this goal. I know I could have not signed up for this "marathon" but i paid the fees and i have just started to run. It is going to be tough and the temptation to give up, the envy of looking at those people who have finished the run will be there. But I know I have Jesus who is running alongside me and Amy. And I have many "aid stations" along the way; my family, my beloved church pastors and friends, my mentors etc.
Life itself is a marathon and there will be many ups and downs. But I am reminded that as long as we stay focused in God, He will take us through....
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3
We have a group project for Social Anthropology coming up and this group project will serve as a internal exam as well. Amy and I decided not to be in the same group as we wanted to interact with different people in the class. I am grouped two ladies, an Iranian lady and a Naga. We will be looking at marriage practices across all three cultures and seeing the differences and similarities. For our first 2 meetings, it seems to be really interesting and fun to look at the marriage practices of different cultures.
Most of my classmates are surprised at my age, they all assume I am in my early to mid 20s. Although it is a compliment that i look young, i do feel a bit aged in my class. To them, people my age are supposed to get married and have a stable job. I guess i am taking a different route and we all have different goals. I remarked to a dear friend that some people are running 5km, some are running 10km to reach a goal.I seem to be running 42km for this goal. I know I could have not signed up for this "marathon" but i paid the fees and i have just started to run. It is going to be tough and the temptation to give up, the envy of looking at those people who have finished the run will be there. But I know I have Jesus who is running alongside me and Amy. And I have many "aid stations" along the way; my family, my beloved church pastors and friends, my mentors etc.
Life itself is a marathon and there will be many ups and downs. But I am reminded that as long as we stay focused in God, He will take us through....
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3
No comments:
Post a Comment